We are looking for a caretaker for our small community farm on the grounds of Camp Shomria, a Jewish overnight camp operated by Hashomer Hatzair youth movement, that focuses on community and youth-led education. This is an 8 week immersive internship running from June 26th until August 14th, with flexibility to adjust start and end dates by a few days if needed. Room and board is entirely provided, and there is a stipend of 90$ per week.
The scope of the position only includes the farm, meaning there are no formal childcare responsibilities nor educational responsibilities. That being said, the position includes being around and interacting with children frequently as the farm is an educational space for children.
*This position can potentially include a one month residency (month of June) with our partners at Root ‘N Roost Farm. Root ‘N Roost is a permaculture farm located just five minutes down the road from Camp Shomria, which additionally works with us to help manage our own farm. While this residency before the start of camp is not required, it is encouraged, as interns will have the opportunity for more in-depth learning of permaculture practices and duties of the farm.
- A few Zoom meetings in the months leading up to camp to get to know the team and plan for the summer
- Pre-summer prep work: (tarping greenhouses, installing fences, etc..)
- Feeding animals regularly and ensuring they have enough water
- Assembling and installing a watering hose
- Weeding and watering the farm on a daily basis (waking up early to do so when necessary)
- Turning compost over on a daily basis
- Beautification of Farm: weedwacking shrubs, painting and labeling raised beds, adding any personal touches you wish which add to the space
- Miscellaneous chores: Being on call to help fix any problem that arises on the farm with the help of supervisors
- Engaging with children participating in educational programming on the farm
- We welcome interns to initiate projects of their own around the farm and to participate in educational programming should they choose to
- Study related to agriculture and/or gardening a plus
- Experience in education and working with kids
- Team and community minded individual
- Familiarity with Hebrew a plus, or ability to adapt to unique vocabulary
Camp Shomria is an educational institution that is committed to social, economic, racial, political, and environmental justice. You should be comfortable in an environment that educates towards these values.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
About Camp Shomria:
Located in Liberty, NY, the camp consists of 117 acres, with 13 of them in active use (cabins & facilities). The camp has a capacity of 200 campers, and is also home to a small educational vegetable farm with chickens and other livestock that is managed by our partner and neighbor, Root N’ Roost Farm. In addition to the summer camp, Hashomer USA offers year-round activities led by youth leaders and leadership programs for counselors and older teens.