Camp Shomria is a resident co-ed Jewish youth-led summer camp owned by Hashomer Hatzair, Inc., the US branch of the world-wide Jewish Zionist youth movement Hashomer Hatzair. Located in Liberty, NY, the camp consists of 117 acres, with 13 of them in active use (cabins & facilities). The camp has a capacity of 200 campers, and is also home to a small educational vegetable farm with chickens and other livestock that is managed by our partner and neighbor, Root N’ Roost Farm. In addition to the summer camp, Hashomer USA offers year-round activities led by youth leaders and leadership programs for counselors and older teens.
We are looking to hire a Site Manager to oversee our camp’s summer and yearlong on-site operations. The Site Manager will reside at Camp Shomria during the camp season and for the two weeks preceding and following the camp for set up and dismantling (approximately 8-10 weeks total). They will also reside at the camp for 3 weekend gatherings in the fall and spring, and for any planned Family Camps.
Camp Shomria recently received a grant from the Department of Homeland Security to invest in the camp’s safety and hate crime-prevention infrastructure. Throughout the year, the Site Manager will work with the Camp Director, the Executive Director, and the Site Committee to plan and implement the renovations as a result of this grant.
The position will be full time mid-June thru August 2022, and camp will take place July 3rd thru August 14. Throughout the rest of the year, the position will be 10 hours a week, as well as 3 or so weekend camps.
The Site Manager will report to the Camp Director, and will also work with the Site Committee, the summer chatzran (handyman) and tzevet (a group of dedicated counselors during the summer).
Responsibilities:During Camp Season (May - September):
- Opening and closing of camp (including but not limited to the pool, cabins, bathrooms, mess hall, electricity and water systems)
- Overseeing tzevet (a dedicated team of counselors) and the chatzran (handyman)
- Manage and implement the renovation plan set by the Site Committee prior to the summer
- Maintenance as-needed throughout summer (buildings, appliances, equipment, water and electricity systems, landscaping)
- Together with Director, ensure that all maintenance and renovations stay within budget
- Manage vendor and service provider relationships for cleaning supplies, food supplies, recycling/garbage cleanup, electrician, plumber, bathroom cleaning staff, tree removal company
- Together with leadership team, ensure that our facilities are in line with NYS Dept of Health regulations for our annual inspection
- Daily testing of our water systems, recording results
- Introduce and document best practices for cleaning & maintenance of equipment and buildings
- Support and invest in the longevity and sustainability of the camp’s land, structures, and equipment
- Support the Rosh Tzevet (head of tzevet) in implementing summer-long site projects
- Assist counselors and campers twice a summer with their final scouting project (Mifkad Esh)
- Assist farm managers and 1-2 farm interns with ongoing projects
In the Off-Season (October - April): 10 hours a week at $20/hour
- Plan and implement renovations as a result of the DOHS security grant
- Act as the point person for the Department of Homeland Security’s dedicated resource for Camp Shomria
- Weekly meetings with Camp Director and Executive Director for project support and tracking
- Work closely with and advise Site Committee with ongoing projects
- Check on the site about once a month and handle challenges that arise
- Experience with general maintenance, repair, and improvement of a property
- Familiarity with appliance installation, carpentry, basic plumbing, minor electrical wiring, maintenance and renovations, and/or an ability to self-teach
- Ability to travel to the site throughout the year is a must
- Experience with contractor and vendor relationship management
- Previous experience with campsite management a plus
- Strong organizational and project-management skills
- Ability to independently manage priorities and time
- Familiarity with Hebrew a plus, or ability to adapt to unique vocabulary
- Team and community minded individual
- Camp Shomria is an educational institution that is committed to social, economic, racial, political and environmental justice. Although this is not an educational or programmatic position, you should be comfortable in an environment that educates towards these values.
About Camp Shomria:
Camp Shomria is a co-ed kibbutz-style, summer camp located in the Catskills. We believe that learning should be hands-on, youth-centered and cooperative; and we strive to provide that kind of experience. What makes us unique is our culture, which allows campers to create their own world, get a sense of ownership, and become empowered over their lives and education. Whether it’s drama games or interactive discussions about social issues, our programming lets campers grow into independent, critical thinkers.
Campers participate in swimming, sports, and arts & crafts, in addition to progressive Jewish programming and community involvement. Campers also actively participate in raising organic vegetables in our garden and feeding the chickens, goats, and sheep on site.